- Completion of the Cabot transaction creates largest global debt purchaser
- Encore sets new records for collections and estimated remaining collections
- GAAP EPS from continuing operations of $0.69 per share
- Non-GAAP Economic EPS from continuing operations of $1.19 per share
SAN DIEGO, Nov. 07, 2018 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) — Capital Group, Inc. (NASDAQ: ECPG), an international specialty finance company providing debt recovery solutions for consumers across a broad range of assets, today reported consolidated financial results for the third quarter ended September 30, 2018.
“Encore had a strong quarter as we recorded our third consecutive quarter of record global cash collections and reached an all-time high for estimated remaining collections,” said Ashish Masih, President and Chief Executive Officer. “Robust collections continue to be driven by our ongoing focus on operational innovation and the collections capacity that we have steadily added over the past several quarters in the U.S. In addition, global portfolio purchases totaled $249 million and included $123 million of deployments in the United States, a level that keeps us on track to deploy more capital in the U.S. in 2018 than in any other prior year. This solid performance was impacted by the charges incurred in the third quarter associated with the completion of the acquisition of Cabot and certain one-time tax items associated with one of our smaller international businesses, causing a higher than normal tax rate which further impacted our results.”
“The acquisition of Cabot strengthens our global business and establishes us as a clear leader in both the United States and in the United Kingdom, the world’s two most important markets for our industry. We are the global leader in debt purchasing when measured by estimated remaining collections. We expect Cabot’s debt purchasing and servicing platforms will strengthen our long-term leadership and growth in Europe through both its geographic and product diversity, as well as its broad servicing capabilities,” said Masih.
Key Financial Metrics for the Third Quarter of 2018:
- Estimated remaining collections (ERC) increased 10% compared to the same period of the prior year, to a record $7.2 billion.
- Portfolio purchases were $249 million, including $123 million in the U.S. and $115 million in Europe, compared to $292 million deployed overall in the same period a year ago.
- Gross collections increased 13% to a record $499 million, compared to $443 million in the same period of the prior year.
- Total revenues, adjusted by net allowances, increased 10% to $337 million, compared to $307 million in the third quarter of 2017.
- Total operating expenses were $239 million, compared to $203 million in the same period of the prior year. Incremental operating expenses in the third quarter of 2018 included expenses related to the completion of the Cabot acquisition in the quarter, in addition to expenses associated with Wescot, acquired by Encore’s Cabot subsidiary during the fourth quarter of 2017.
- Adjusted operating expenses, which represent the expenses related to our portfolio purchasing and recovery business, increased 6% to $180 million, compared to $170 million in the same period of the prior year.
- Total interest expense increased to $65.1 million, compared to $52.8 million in the same period of the prior year, principally as a result of costs related to a Cabot refinancing, Encore’s purchase of the remaining interest in Cabot, higher average debt balances related to larger investments in receivables, and increases in the cost of short-term borrowing.
- GAAP net income attributable to Encore was $20.7 million, or $0.69 per fully diluted share, as compared to $28.2 million, or $1.05 per fully diluted share in the same period a year ago.
- Adjusted income attributable to Encore was $35.8 million, compared to $30.7 million in the third quarter of 2017. Adjusted income attributable to Encore per share (also referred to as Economic EPS) was $1.19, compared to $1.17 in the same period of the prior year.
- As of September 30, 2018, after taking into account borrowing base and applicable debt covenants, available capacity under Encore’s U.S. revolving credit facility, was $178 million and availability under Cabot’s revolving credit facility was £77 million (approximately $100 million). These figures do not include cash on the balance sheet.
Conference Call and Webcast
Encore will host a conference call and slide presentation today, November 7, 2018, at 2:00 p.m. Pacific / 5:00 p.m. Eastern time, to present and discuss third quarter results.
Members of the public are invited to access the live webcast via the Internet by logging on at the Investor Relations page of Encore’s website at www.encorecapital.com. To access the live, listen-only telephone conference portion, please dial (855) 541-0982 or (704) 288-0606.
For those who cannot listen to the live broadcast, a telephonic replay will be available for seven days by dialing (800) 585-8367 or (404) 537-3406 and entering the conference number 9439619. A replay of the webcast will also be available shortly after the call on the Company’s website.
Non-GAAP Financial Measures
This news release includes certain financial measures that exclude the impact of certain items and therefore have not been calculated in accordance with U.S. generally accepted accounting principles (“GAAP”). The Company has included adjusted income attributable to Encore and adjusted income attributable to Encore per share (also referred to as economic EPS when adjusted for certain shares associated with our convertible notes that will not be issued but are reflected in the fully diluted share count for accounting purposes) because management uses this measure to assess operating performance, in order to highlight trends in the Company’s business that may not otherwise be apparent when relying on financial measures calculated in accordance with GAAP. The Company has included information concerning adjusted operating expenses in order to facilitate a comparison of approximate cash costs to cash collections for the portfolio purchasing and recovery business in the periods presented. Adjusted income attributable to Encore, adjusted income attributable to Encore per share/economic EPS, and adjusted operating expenses have not been prepared in accordance with GAAP. These non-GAAP financial measures should not be considered as alternatives to, or more meaningful than, net income, net income per share, and total operating expenses as indicators of the Company’s operating performance. Further, these non-GAAP financial measures, as presented by the Company, may not be comparable to similarly titled measures reported by other companies. The Company has attached to this news release a reconciliation of these non-GAAP financial measures to their most directly comparable GAAP financial measures.
About Encore Capital Group, Inc.
Encore Capital Group is an international specialty finance company that provides debt recovery solutions for consumers across a broad range of assets. Through its subsidiaries including Midland Credit Management, Inc. (United States), Cabot Credit Management (Europe), Refinancia (Latin America), Baycorp (Australasia) and Encore Asset Reconstruction Company (India), Encore purchases or services portfolios of consumer receivables from major banks, credit unions, and utility providers. Encore partners with individuals as they repay their debt obligations, helping them on the road to financial recovery and ultimately improving their economic well-being.
Headquartered in San Diego, Encore is a publicly traded NASDAQ Global Select company (ticker symbol: ECPG) and a component stock of the Russell 2000, the S&P Small Cap 600 and the Wilshire 4500. More information about Encore can be found at www.encorecapital.com. More information about Cabot Credit Management can be found at www.cabotcm.com. Information found on Encore’s or its subsidiaries’ websites are not incorporated by reference.
Forward Looking Statements
The statements in this press release that are not historical facts, including, most importantly, those statements preceded by, or that include, the words “will,” “may,” “believe,” “projects,” “expects,” “anticipates” or the negation thereof, or similar expressions, constitute “forward-looking statements” within the meaning of the Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995 (the “Reform Act”). These statements may include, but are not limited to, statements regarding our future operating results, performance, business plans or prospects. For all “forward-looking statements,” the Company claims the protection of the safe harbor for forward-looking statements contained in the Reform Act. Such forward-looking statements involve risks, uncertainties and other factors which may cause actual results, performance or achievements of the Company and its subsidiaries to be materially different from any future results, performance or achievements expressed or implied by such forward-looking statements. These risks, uncertainties and other factors are discussed in the reports filed by the Company with the Securities and Exchange Commission, including the most recent reports on Forms 10-K and 10-Q, as they may be amended from time to time. The Company disclaims any intent or obligation to update these forward-looking statements.
Vice President, Investor Relations
Encore Capital Group, Inc.