- Encore sets new records for portfolio purchases, collections, revenues and estimated remaining collections
- GAAP EPS from continuing operations increases 30% to $1.00 per share
- Non-GAAP Economic EPS from continuing operations increases 51% to $1.33 per share
SAN DIEGO, Aug. 08, 2018 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) — Encore Capital Group, Inc. (NASDAQ:ECPG), an international specialty finance company providing debt recovery solutions for consumers across a broad range of assets, today reported consolidated financial results for the second quarter ended June 30, 2018.
“The second quarter for Encore was a period of strong financial and operational performance as our global business generated record levels of portfolio purchases, collections, revenues, and estimated remaining collections. Our strong collections were helped by our operational innovation and the additional collections capacity we’ve been adding steadily around the world. We deployed more capital through portfolio purchases from U.S. banks in the second quarter than in any prior period as the supply of charged-off credit card debt continues to grow,” said Ashish Masih, President and Chief Executive Officer. “Our recent completion of the Cabot transaction is a transformational event for Encore and establishes us as a clear leader in both the United States and in the United Kingdom, the world’s two largest markets for our industry. We view Cabot as the best platform for long-term leadership and growth in Europe due to its geographic and product diversity, and the breadth of its capital lite servicing capabilities.”
Encore also announced that Paul Grinberg, President, International, has decided to retire at the end of 2018 after a distinguished 14-year career with the company. Previously, Mr. Grinberg served as Encore’s Executive Vice President and Chief Financial Officer.
“The fact that we now have operations and investments around the world is largely based on Paul’s vision and passion, and that diversity has made our company stronger in many ways,” said Mr. Masih. “As our previous CFO, he also oversaw an era of significant growth for Encore and enhanced our presence in the investment community. Paul has left an indelible mark on this company. I am grateful for his service and wish him all the best in his retirement.”
Effective immediately, Ken Stannard, CEO of Cabot, will assume responsibility for all European businesses of Encore. Prior to becoming CEO of the Cabot Credit Management Group in February 2014, Mr. Stannard led Marlin Financial Services through its acquisition by Cabot. Before his time at Marlin, Mr. Stannard was Director of Credit Cards at Lloyds Banking Group, Managing Director at Capital One UK, and Head of European Operations at American Express.
“Ken is a strong leader with more than 20 years of experience in the European Financial Services industry. Ken has successfully guided Cabot’s growth and its geographic, product and servicing expansion, and as we look to the future, I am confident that he is the ideal choice to direct and manage Encore’s interests in Europe,” said Mr. Masih.
Key Financial Metrics for the Second Quarter of 2018:
- Estimated remaining collections (ERC) grew 15% compared to the same period of the prior year, to a record $7.2 billion.
- Deployments were a record $360 million, excluding periods in which portfolios associated with platform acquisitions were acquired. Deployments included $203 million in the U.S. and $147 million in Europe, compared to $246 million deployed overall in the same period a year ago.
- Gross collections grew 11% to a record $496 million, compared to $446 million in the same period of the prior year.
- Total revenues, adjusted by net allowance reversals, were a record $350 million, compared to $291 million in the second quarter of 2017.
- Total operating expenses were $246 million, compared to $210 million in the same period of the prior year. Incremental operating expenses in the second quarter of 2018 included expenses associated with Wescot, acquired by Encore’s Cabot subsidiary during the fourth quarter of 2017, as well as spending related to collections capacity expansion in the U.S. Adjusted operating expenses, which represent the expenses related to our portfolio purchasing and recovery business, increased 3% to $186 million, compared to $180 million in the same period of the prior year.
- Total interest expense increased to $60.5 million, compared to $50.5 million in the same period of the prior year, principally as a result of increases in the cost of short-term borrowing and higher average debt balances related to larger investments in receivables.
- GAAP net income attributable to Encore was $26.3 million, or $1.00 per fully diluted share, as compared to $20.3 million, or $0.77 per fully diluted share in the same period a year ago.
- Adjusted income attributable to Encore was $35.1 million, compared to $22.9 million in the second quarter of 2017.
- Adjusted income attributable to Encore per share (also referred to as Economic EPS) was $1.33, compared to $0.88 in the same period of the prior year.
- Available capacity under Encore’s domestic revolving credit facility, after taking into account borrowing base and applicable debt covenants, was $243 million as of June 30, 2018.
Conference Call and Webcast
Encore will host a conference call and slide presentation today, August 8, 2018, at 2:00 p.m. Pacific / 5:00 p.m. Eastern time, to present and discuss second quarter results.
Members of the public are invited to access the live webcast via the Internet by logging on at the Investor Relations page of Encore’s website at www.encorecapital.com. To access the live, listen-only telephone conference portion, please dial (855) 541-0982 or (704) 288-0606.
For those who cannot listen to the live broadcast, a telephonic replay will be available for seven days by dialing (800) 585-8367 or (404) 537-3406 and entering the conference number 2279697. A replay of the webcast will also be available shortly after the call on the Company’s website.
Non-GAAP Financial Measures
This news release includes certain financial measures that exclude the impact of certain items and therefore have not been calculated in accordance with U.S. generally accepted accounting principles (“GAAP”). The Company has included adjusted income attributable to Encore and adjusted income attributable to Encore per share (also referred to as economic EPS when adjusted for certain shares associated with our convertible notes that will not be issued but are reflected in the fully diluted share count for accounting purposes) because management uses this measure to assess operating performance, in order to highlight trends in the Company’s business that may not otherwise be apparent when relying on financial measures calculated in accordance with GAAP. The Company has included information concerning adjusted operating expenses in order to facilitate a comparison of approximate cash costs to cash collections for the portfolio purchasing and recovery business in the periods presented. Adjusted income attributable to Encore, adjusted income attributable to Encore per share/economic EPS, and adjusted operating expenses have not been prepared in accordance with GAAP. These non-GAAP financial measures should not be considered as alternatives to, or more meaningful than, net income, net income per share, and total operating expenses as indicators of the Company’s operating performance. Further, these non-GAAP financial measures, as presented by the Company, may not be comparable to similarly titled measures reported by other companies. The Company has attached to this news release a reconciliation of these non-GAAP financial measures to their most directly comparable GAAP financial measures.
About Encore Capital Group, Inc.
Encore Capital Group is an international specialty finance company that provides debt recovery solutions for consumers across a broad range of assets. Through its subsidiaries, Encore purchases portfolios of consumer receivables from major banks and credit unions.
Encore partners with individuals as they repay their obligations, helping them on the road to financial recovery and ultimately improving their economic well-being. Encore is the first and only company of its kind to operate with a Consumer Bill of Rights that provides industry-leading commitments to consumers. Headquartered in San Diego, the company is a publicly traded NASDAQ Global Select company (ticker symbol: ECPG) and a component stock of the Russell 2000, the S&P Small Cap 600 and the Wilshire 4500. More information about Encore can be found at http://www.encorecapital.com. More information about the Company’s Cabot Credit Management subsidiary can be found at http://www.cabotcm.com. Information found on the Company’s website or Cabot’s website is not incorporated by reference.
Forward Looking Statements
The statements in this press release that are not historical facts, including, most importantly, those statements preceded by, or that include, the words “will,” “may,” “believe,” “projects,” “expects,” “anticipates” or the negation thereof, or similar expressions, constitute “forward-looking statements” within the meaning of the Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995 (the “Reform Act”). These statements may include, but are not limited to, statements regarding our future operating results, performance, business plans or prospects. For all “forward-looking statements,” the Company claims the protection of the safe harbor for forward-looking statements contained in the Reform Act. Such forward-looking statements involve risks, uncertainties and other factors which may cause actual results, performance or achievements of the Company and its subsidiaries to be materially different from any future results, performance or achievements expressed or implied by such forward-looking statements. These risks, uncertainties and other factors are discussed in the reports filed by the Company with the Securities and Exchange Commission, including the most recent reports on Forms 10-K and 10-Q, as they may be amended from time to time. The Company disclaims any intent or obligation to update these forward-looking statements.
Vice President, Investor Relations
Encore Capital Group, Inc.